Wednesday 3 September 2014

Reflection, 15 years

Today marks the day that I would have been in the UK since 1999.
I came over when I was only 11 to study in an all girls boarding school in Bristol. It was such a strange experience. I had only been to England one time prior to that and it was a year before, I joined EF and went on a 4 weeks language course/tour with them. I had the worst time.
I was a bit of a bully when I was younger, not proud of it but I learnt a lot from my mistakes. So as a bully, I would get the group to isolate and then because I also used to be quite a bad (as in, did it a lot) liar, I lied about something. I think I lied about my birthday being in August just because I never had kids my age celebrating it with me, so I wanted to feel like people celebrated my birthday. So I lied it was in August, just so I could have my celebration during the camp. And on the day, bless them, they actually surprised me, but knowing me being a bad (bad at it) liar, I forgot and they found out and then they isolated me.
As you would have it, I then got comfort becoming friends with the girl I bullied before. Long story short, I was a horrible person and I deserved it all and it made me really sceptical about England.
Coming back a year later I was scared. And excited. This was a whole new life. So excited that even I couldn't call home the first month, I didn't care. I didn't even cry. I was THAT excited.
Then it sets it that I had to be in this foreign country all by myself, and this thought daunted on me the hardest when I came back to school in the spring term, having experienced one term here and spent the christmas holiday back home and enjoying the comfort of my family. I got back and for one week, I was terribly ill, I refused to adjust my jetlag and I cried. I cried all night and all day. I really thought about asking my mum to take me back and don't send me away again.
Fast forward 8 years and I would be leaving the school that helped shaped my teenage years, that had such tight curfews and rules but they were all for our own good, and friends that were closer than sisters because we literally were on top of each other 24/7! It was the best experience (and expensive too) I could have ever asked for and I thank my parents so much for doing this. Speaking to them as I am older I realise that it hurt them immensely too having to sent me away when I was only 11. But the education system in Hong Kong really was not suitable and this was one of their only choices.
London was fun. I partied. I studied. I designed. I danced. I kissed. I cried. I laughed. I also found love.
And now. 15 years having been in the UK. Still waiting for my citizenship. This is my only downfall about this country. I wished it was easier and I would have had it already. If I did, it would open so many more doors for me. Also, I don't even want to say how much money my family and I have poured into this country. GIMMETHATCITIZENSHIPALREADY!
Despite that, I would never change anything else about my experience, my time and my life here in the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment