Monday 1 September 2014

Lunedi, 01/09

So, after all those post about running, I guess I should talk about the other topic that this blog is about, knitting, if I can stay on topic.
I kind of have one of those typical design story, where I was taught how to knit and sew at a young age, and I made clothes for my dolls and then I want to pursue a career as a designer.
Well, not quite.
I was indeed taught how to sew when I was 6 by my dad, whose mum made a lot of dresses for me and was quite an inspiration. Around the age of 12 or 13 my mum taught me how to knit. I did not have the patience to use a 4mm needle to knit a Harry Potter inspired scarf with stocking stitch. So I left it for my mum to finish.
Then I wanted to be many things in my school years. A writer, a playwright, a psychologist, may be even an interior designer? I did not even know the existance of Central St Martins when my friend told me that is where she wanted to go , at age 14.
However, I was enchanted by the books and stories of Lord of the Rings, this prompt a fascination of elves and fairies and all sorts of magical creatures and their beautiful, sparkly outfits. Also Orlando Bloom with long blonde hair. (I use to vividly imagine him with that make up, in t-shirt and jeans, just to convince myself, yes, a normal person can look that beautiful in normal clothes and long blonde hair.) So I started thinking about making clothes just like theirs. So there were many trips to the art block and looking through the scrap boxes, only to find very small pieces here and there.
So naturally, I wanted to be part of and useful to the drama department in school, helping out with the costume cupboard, that was fun. Fun time with my good friends Yaz and Rachel (who sadly, is no longer with us. She had a beautiful soul. RIP).
Then, I got into Visual Kei and before long, I was dressed head to toe in laced dresses and bloomers and just too much lace for one person at any one moment. I made all those clothes myself because they were expensive to purchase (or I had no idea where to buy them). Plus I found books in japanese that taught you step by step how to sew these dresses. What could go wrong? From here on, I participated in Cosplay too (costume playing for those of you who don't know, and it was an awesome pass time!)
I was asked by my dad many times during this period of my life, around 3 years 'do you think you look good?', 'Why do you dress like this? why do you want to be so different?', 'Does it make you feel good when people look at you?'
Naturally, as a rebellious teenager looking to be different from everyone else, I had replies like 'I don't care what anyone else think, I am my own person. I will do what I want.' And these were words that I went by when I enrolled into the foundation course at Central St Martins.
But slowly throughout the 5 years there, foundation and placement year included and numerous internships and part time jobs later, I found that my aesthetic has majorly shifted and I almost cannot recognise myself 5/6 years ago. If you see me now, I wear the most non-exciting outfit in the most comfortable shoes I can find (Flyknit Frees. Not a product placement on purpose, I just really love them). My wardrobe basically consists of stable and understated pieces that I can wear years after years. I love throwing things out, giving it to charity, or reusing anything that I have made. But slowly, I am finding it more difficult to get rid of things because everything I own, I have had them for years and I wear them all the time and I love them all. I guess this is a good thing. Easy to pack up and very friendly to the environment.
Anyway, that's off topic. Knitwear.
I guess I can say I have had many years of experience with knitwear now, especially machine knitting. I love churning out pieces for myself and friends. Less so for myself for the exact reason I mentioned last paragraph. There is still so much to learn but I am so grateful for the most recent experience I have. Of course I wish it could have lasted longer, but alas, I am sure something will come along (hopefully better? But how to top V?)

No comments:

Post a Comment