Friday 19 September 2014

Controversial topic

Having just witnessed a historial moment within the United Kingdom last night made me really want to write this post. The terminologies that I use here are probably going to be incorrect as I have been following the series of events in chinese, plus I have never studied politics, law or economics (anything academic that helps shape a society). My understandings on current events and my opinions are completely based on keeping up to date with newspaper and different media outlets. My view could be skewed, and biased, but I feel comfortable enough to express them here on this personal blog.

I am by no mean someone who is on top of every single political issues around the world, but I would like to think that I still like to research into the matters and try to understand the case from different prospectives, because at the end of the day, with the world being so open and public, everything will have a consequence and it will affect almost everyone in one way or another. In my view, a lot of the political issues happening within the UK right now does not directly affect me and therefore I have been pretty out of it. But the Scottish Independence Referendum has changed that. Slightly. What can I say about it? Well, I am not scottish, heck I am still trying to become british having been in this country for more than a decade. So I don't really think my view is relevant.

But this brings me back to the main reason for posting this. I normally like to keep the matter light hearted on this blog as it's just about running and knitting. But I couldn't help but relate to the issues Scotland was facing, and the slight similarities with the problems that Hong Kong is having right now, with the chinese government.

Since the hand-over in 1997, Hong Kong was promised a high degree of autonomy, and we were to be ruled by the basic law, instead of common law which is practised in the People's Republic of China. However, that promise has not been met. Since 1997, Hong Kong has never been able to choose its own chief executive. It was always appointed, by a committee selected by the PRC government. Yes the size of that committee has increased over the years, but you couldn't help but think that those people must have done something, or be an advantage for the PRC gov in order to be selected to be part of the organisation. So what does this say about the chief executive they have chosen for Hong Kong?

Slowly but surely, Hong Kong could feel the grasp of China becoming tighter and tighter, suffocating different aspect of our city, freedom of speech and democracy being the main issues. Peaceful demonstrations are usually met with hostility from the police force and altered information through left-wing sources. Unprovoked arrest has happened in the most recent rehearsal for occupy central. Excessive use of force and violence have been shown by law enforcement. There have also been numerous times where media and journists were refrained from providing viewers with footage and information of the events because they were blocked, purposedly or accidentally, this we would never know.

Of course, there have also been series of events happening from a long time ago, casting fear among the citizens of Hong Kong, in regards to what our future is going to be like. Article 23 back in 2003 was a good example. Then there was the white paper published this year. The brutal attack on an ex-newspaper editor also fueled the anger within Hong Kong. Ng Leung Sing force through funding for the controversial rail project. The broadcasting scandal. The ongoing battle with Hong Kong becoming over populated by Mainlanders arriving through different means possible. Like I said at the beginning, I am by no mean up to date with every single political issues and therefore I am missing out a lot more other events. But these are the ones that stuck with me the most.

I can't help but feel hopeless about Hong Kong's future. I say bravo to those in Scotland who have fought long and hard for their independence. It is definitely very frustrating when you are not in control of your own country, or have to be part of the government that is controlling your land, your resource and your people yet you have no part in the decision making. I had my reservations regarding the independence. I can't be a hypocrite and be completely against their independence, considering my own hometown is fighting so hard for its own (even though its not complete independence, I guess we are fighting for equivalent to what would have been for Scotland had there been the third - Devo-max - vote.) I wont express explicitly what I had hoped for Scotland here as that is unnecessary, but all I can say is, if Scotland would have won this referendum, even with possible shock and shake up world wide, Hong Kong could have used some of that 'braveheart' momentum, wake up those that don't normally care about politics, or falsely believe that with a regular paying jobs our lives are secure, and truly fight for democracy for the next 33 years, while we still have the chance to.

I do not mean to upset anyone with this blog, I am solely expressing my own view.

C

No comments:

Post a Comment