Friday 17 October 2014

Gelato #1

Having returned for just over a week, I can safely say that my body and mind are slowly settling back and getting used to the weather, climate, and lifestyle in London. However, my taste buds haven't completely settled and sometimes, there are moments when I really crave those amazing mozzarella pizza from a forno legno, suppli or arancine al ragu.

And GELATO.

Now I am no connoisseur of this heavenly creamy dessert, but I was in Rome from April to October, during its hottest month, so it is safe to say that I probably visited a gelateria once a week. At the height of my craze for gelato, I probably ate at least 2/3 a week.




To feed this monstrous craving, I researched plenty, during hours which I should be working, running and other things but eating gelato. So I thought I would compile a list of gelateria, may be in order of an overall score (?!?) just so that in the future if any of my dear friends would visit Rome, there is at least some sort of a list to work from, instead of falling in those artificial-coloured and puffy touristy traps (despite the long queues forming outside it).



1. COME IL LATTE - Via Silvio Spaventa 24/26
2. NEVE DI LATTE - Via Luigi Poletti
3. GELATERIA DEI GRACCHI - Via dei Gracchi, 272
4. I CARUSO - Via Collina 13/15
5. FRIGIDARIUM - Via del Governo Vecchio 112
6. GELATERIA DEL TEATRO - Via di San Simone 70
7. FATAMORGANA - Via Giovanni Bettolo, 7
8. GELATERIA LA ROMANA - Via XX Settembre, 60
9. GELATERIA OLD BRIDGE - Viale Bastioni di Michelangelo, 5
10. CIAMPINI - Piazza San Lorenzo in Lucinda, 29
11. GELATERIA DEI GRACCHI - Via di Ripetta, 261
12. VENCHI - Via della Croce, 25/26
13. GIOLITTI - Via degli Uffici del Vicario, 40
14. SAN CRISPINO - Via della Panetteria
15. GROM - Via Agonale, 3
16. FASSI - Via Principe Eugenio, 63/67

Some other gelateria that are good to try if you are around the area:
ANTICO CAFFE DELL'ISOLA - Isola Tiberina
IL GELATO DI CLAUDIO TROCE - Viale Aventino, 59 - Circo Massimo
GELATERIA - Via M. Colonna




Price guide:
Piccolo (Small) - normally around €2-2.50, 2 gusti
Medio (Medium) - around €3, 3 gusto
Grande (Large) - €3.50-4, 4 gusti
Panna is free, and I recommend that if there is an option for panna, go for it, unless it is your third gelato of the day.
Normally, Cono (cone) feels larger portion than if you go for Coppetta (cup).
Often the fruit flavours are senza crema/latte (without cream, milk) so if you are a vegan those are great options.
A great phrase to learn is 'Potrei assaggiare (flavour) per favore?' meaning, could I try this (flavour). Thanks Ginny. Though don't push it and go and try 10 flavours and only get a piccolo.


I will come up with a carefully written review for all the above gelateria soon, please bare with me, while I cry in front of my laptop thinking about how I won't be able to just jump onto a tram and get a cono piccolo with nocciola and pistacchio with panna.

No comments:

Post a Comment