Tuesday 21 October 2014

Gelato #2

Since the last post, I have had some serious craving and resorted to looking for a good pizzeria in London, and it wasn't bad. I would even give it an 8 out of 10, only if the price was lower. But they did have gelato. Even though I had to pay £3.50 for basically a piccolo they did have a very nocciola (hazelnut), but I am not too sure about the pistacchio.

Anyway, back on the topic of Gelato, to continue on from my last post, I thought I would write a more detailed description and my not-so-professional reviews for each and every one of the gelateria I listed.

1. COME IL LATTE - score: 9.5/10
I think all my friends who have been to this place, would agree, this place is friggin' amazing. Tucked away on a side street in a not so touristy area, this place is a gem. Probably one of the most elaborate gelato there are in Rome, you start off with choosing chocolate on the tap to go into the cone, then there are around 15-20 gusto (flavours) available. Trust me, you want to try them all, and you should definitely take your time to decide on flavours you want before asking for assistance, because it will take such a long time to decide the cone they are holding in the hand would probably have crumbled before you make the decision. Also, it has amazing flavours. Highly recommend the Caramelle di sale (Salted Caramel), any flavours with Fichi (Fig). There are also 5 flavours for panna (cream) which just makes your decision making that much harder. The best? Its portion is big, and amazing. I don't think I can say 'amazing' enough for this gelateria.

2. NEVE DI LATTE - score: 9/10
I have Ginny to thank for this place. She introduced this gelateria to me one day during a hot weekend in June and I have made regular trip ever since (given that it is only a 5 minutes tram ride away). They have simple flavours, lots of choices, but the always-great-staple flavours. And their panna is probably the best. This place is far away enough to not have too many tourists, but close enough to have plenty of transportation methods to get there.

3. GELATERIA DEI GRACCHI - score: 9/10
I guess this is the original Gracchi gelateria as it is located on Via die Gracchi, and their pistachio is the best I have had in Rome. It is in Prati so a great spot to chill out after some shopping on Via Cola di Rienzo, or a spot for dessert after dinner in this area (which, by the way, is filled with too-good-to-be-true trattorias).

4. I CARUSO - score: 8.5/10
There are 4 vending points (is that a direction translation from italian? Or this word doesn't actually exist in english?) and the one on Via Collina is amazing. What is also fantastic about this place is that they have flavours of the month. Excuse to go back at least once a month throughout the year.

5. FRIGIDARIUM - score: 8.5/10
Located on a street filled with cool bars and vintage shops, perfect hang out on a hot, sunny afternoon. The flavours are the usual, but the magic lies when they ask you panna o cioccolato? Which you reply saying 'Cioccolato' because the entered gelato is then dipped into this tub of chocolate, which upon touching the freezing cold gelato forms a coat. Fantastic addition to the already fantastic dessert.

6. GELATERIA DEL TEATRO - score: 7-7.5/10
Tucked away on a side street next to the Tevere, this little gem has some amazing gelato to offer. When I went, I opt for the melone and it was out of this world. From taste buds memory it is places quite highly, but I have to be honest, I don't remember this place THAT well, apart from it was good.

7. FATAMORGANA - score: 7/10
I went to the one in Prati but there is also a selling point in Monti. They have some pretty amazing combo flavours, and I especially like the fruity ones. Some have alcohol in them, and some is just amazing combination, which if you can't decide which three single flavours to go for, just go for three 'four-flavours' flavours.

8. GELATERIA LA ROMANA - score: 7/10
This place is super popular. And really good. If there wasn't the constant queuing from the two shops they have (whichever day and whatever time I am there) it would probably be placed higher on this little table. There are good flavours, and good portions. And multiple flavours for panna also, but the queue. When I want gelato, I don't want to have to wait for 20-30minutes before I get it. I know I am spoilt.

9. GELATERIA OLD BRIDGE - score: 7/10
Right next to Risorgimento which is just outside the Vatican, great little gelateria that you would almost missed, if it wasn't for the line of people you see. I like this place and would recommend anyone who is around that area to visit, is because how generous their portions are. Don't bother with a medio, go for a piccolo because it is THAT big. A piccolo is probably a grande in other gelateria's standard. Not a lot of choices for flavours, but great portions.

10. CIAMPINI - score: 6.5/10
Simple, easy, good for money. I went here on a day where I was set out to have multiple gelato (after a long run, so I deserved it) and this was a good place to start. Refreshing fruit flavours. I probably would not go out of my way to visit again, but if I go past it, definitely worth trying out.

11. GELATERIA DEI GRACCHI - score: 6/10
This is not to be mixed up with the one on Via die Gracchi. On Via di Ripetta, this is the third shop they have opened (I think? Based on the order on their business card) and it is simple and good. However, their pistachio somehow just doesn't seem to match the quality of that in their main shop.

12. VENCHI - score: 6/10
A chocolate shop on Via della Croce, they also have a gelato section and they have some great flavour choices, namely their nougat and special chocolate ones. However, I did not appreciate the fact that you had to pay extra for panna.

13. GIOLITTI - score: 5/10
The famous Giolitti which is filled with tourists, it's a good spot to visit one time, during your stay in Rome. It is good to take in the everything that is all happening at once inside Giolitti, and be in awe with the huge counter, full of different gelato choices. But like I said, it is very much aimed at tourists.

14. SAN CRISPINO - score: 5/10
I went to a franchise branch so may be the quality is not as good. Melone is still amazing (Jazz got me hooked on that flavour) But apart from that, I don't have much else to say about it.

15. GROM - score: 4/10
Similar to San Crispino, I went to a franchise branch and again, the flavours were ok. But having tasted what pistacchio and nocciola should be like, this gelateria doesn't help my craving much. Also there was no panna option.

16. FASSI - score: 3/10
In the 'chinatown' area of Rome, it is HUGE. And very cheap. But it was ok. Flavour wise, there were lots of choices. Portions were ok. But over not very impressive, and I wouldn't say it's somewhere you HAVE to visit.


My not so professional reviews, hope you enjoyed. If anyone would ever visit Rome for a food tour, remember to tell me as most likely I will tag along. :)

1 comment:

  1. Very professional reviews, Cyn! Sapevo che il gelato ti sarebbe mancato... :D Hope to read soon your next post!! Claudia ;)

    ReplyDelete