Thursday 30 October 2014

Crafting project #1

One of the earlier posts I had on this blog, I mentioned how I would worry about my time in London, once I moved back and have yet to start a job (GIMME A JOB!)
Thought it's probably about time for a blog that is meant to be about knitting and running, to finally have a bit of knitting/crafting/sewing in it, and not just me rambling on about random things that, really, don't interest people. I hope the little projects I am about to post would be more interesting!

When I was still working at Valentino, they would always receive amazing samples and fabric and yarn options and colour cards from factories and manufacturers. Every season they would receive new ones, and so normally after each season they would throw out those that were not used, and won't be useful for the future.



I wouldn't call myself a hoarder, but when I see scraps of fabric, especially beautiful coloured, amazing material fabric my heart jumps a little and I get butterflies in my stomach. There I was, ready to leave work one evening, and I was confronted by about 5 boxes full of these materials and colour cards.

I didn't know what I was going to do with these extra material, but I just know that I couldn't let them be thrown out just like that! It was such a waste! So I carefully selected all the ones that I wanted, which is the majority, took them off their paper to reduce space needed to transport them, and carefully folding each pieces and brought them home with me.

I couldn't contain my excitement, all my friends in Rome, in London, my family all heard about how I am so excited with all these materials. Then I was asked 'What are you going to do with them?'

That's true. I haven't thought about it, and if I was completely honest, I had no idea. But I needed to make sure I had a clear goal, because if I didn't, one thing I was sure is when I return and within a few months I didn't what I would do with them, I probably would have thrown them out (or give them to Brandy!). So I started researching.

I have always been amazed with all these knitting and quilting projects I see on the internet, certain blogs I just love (I will probably upload with a list of them in another post). The beautiful colours, pattern combination and all the possibilities made it seemed natural I would make my first quilt with all these fabric scraps. Another reason was that these scraps weren't really big enough to do anything, but be decoration, what better way to utilise them than to create an even bigger piece of fabric?




So I set myself a few projects, the first one would be to make a nice small quilted cover to serve as a practice, then I would move on to bigger and better pieces once I am more settled in London and the rest of my luggages is moved in with me.



I would also make small patterned quilted hangings for my mum and friends. I was particularly drawn to religious medals when I was in Rome, so I went a bit crazy purchasing all the different kinds, and looked forward to sewing them onto the fabric as ornaments. 





Embroidery was another thing that I was very drawn to while researching all these ideas and possible projects, in particular paper embroidery. There are some beautiful wall hangings and large scale work with intricate embroidery detailing which I would love to explore also. But first I wanted to try it out again, so I was quite set on the idea of just the usual fabric embroidery as well as photo embroidery. The latter also gave me a sense of what to expect if I was to go on and doing some paper embroidering. 



These are all very amateurish, but I was quite happy with the outcome and definitely keen to start on some new paper work soon. But this is not to forget I still want to work on work for friends. I am not going to say who this is for, but if this specific friend of mine is reading this, she can probably guess it's for her because I think what I have embroidered is one of her favourite things. She will get this present soon enough.


I shall leave my blog post here, hopefully will post more in the future after more crafting projects. If anyone is interested, very keen to teach and spread the skill and joy, I accept payment in hugs and coffee and company :)

No comments:

Post a Comment