Tuesday 3 February 2015

Chasing PB

2015. New PB.



I remember when I first started running, my 10k time was 50 minutes or 51 minutes.

A year later, and I was still around 47 minutes mark. Thought a year went on and I was still at 47 minutes mark. I was so frustrated with myself. Being very competitive with my inner demon, I thrive on progress so this was very hard for me to admit to myself, may be I just wasn't as good as I had hoped.

Then after joining a running club, within the first few months I dropped a minute for my time and I thought, oh wow, may be I still have room to improve. A few months gone by and my time kept dropping until 8 months after joining the running group, it was down to 44.18. The joy that I had, the surprise, and the adrenaline when I saw that time.

That was also when I decided I will try and run half marathons now that I am more than ok with my 10k time.

Another year went by and having ran in several longer distance races, and a few impromptu long runs initiated by myself or friends, I was ready to shave a few more minutes off my 10k time.

First race back from Rome was the MoRunning 10k in Greenwich park with the horrendous hills. I did better than last year but only with a few seconds off. I wasn't satisfied. I could feel the training and runs I did in Rome has built me up as a stronger runner so this time was a disappointment for myself. So what did I do? I signed up for another 10k a week later.

It was the Regent's Park 10k, 3 laps of the park. I ran this once and didn't particularly enjoyed it. But now I wasn't there to run to see scenic routes. I wanted a time and a multiple-lapped course in my opinion is one of the best to run if I want to chase a time.

When I started, I began picking up runners as I started a little further at the back. I would like to think of myself as a feminist, equality is very important to me, but there is something rewarding when I only compare my race time with fellow female runners and see myself ranked slightly higher. Of course, I have a great sense of joy when I run pass male runners and them trying to keep up too.

I like to count how many female runners there are in front of me and my aim is to reel them in, and pick them up, one by one. This tactic worked very well in a lapped course as I can see who is in front of me when we turn corners. There was this one girl that I picked up, but soon after she sped past me. And I thought 'no way Jose.' so I picked up my legs and made sure she stayed behind me.

Behind me she stayed. I could hear her breathing, I could hear her steps, I could almost feel the wind gushing past me as she surge her arms while chasing me. On the third lap, one of the marshall said to me, I think you are the 3rd or 4th lady. I just thought 'no, don't say that out loud, now that girl is going to want to overtake me.' So I really gave it my all. At the downhill I picked up speed because I know if she doesn't over take me at this point of the course, she is very unlikely to do so any other parts. And I was right. I sprinted to the finish, 43.15. I turned around and she was right there. We shook hands and congratulated each other. What a strong runner and it made me so proud to have been able to play this mental cat and mouse chasing game with her. 

Worth a mention, it was also the first time my name was on the sheet that they used to call out and give out prizes for the winners. I came in 4th in my category. No mention but my name was there, next to my crew name Run Dem Crew.

Fast forward 2 months and I was standing at the starting line for the Winter Run series. Well more like climbing over the fence while almost falling, and the marshall trying to scream at us for doing so. Oops. We needed to get to the front of the first wave.

I was very familiar with this route, having done Bupa 10k 3 times before. I love this route, not only because its scenic and flat, there are hidden inclines and declines that if you didn't know about, they could actually hurt you a little during the run. Those deceiving tunnels and back streets.

Mark and Dan started before me and I wanted to stick with Dan as he was going for a time I wanted to do as well. He was running really strong and he had a big lead from me for the whole run, but I made sure he was in sight.

Notes: When I was running at one point, a spectator said to her daughter 'Look, someone wearing lipsticks' Hell yeah, a girl got to look good when she is racing.

I loved running past St Paul's and the bells were ringing, I was so elevated by that sound it must have pushed my leg harder. Also I kept something Warwick said to me a few days ago in my mind 'I love the feeling when my feet barely touches the ground.' Why have I never thought of that? I always focus on the pain my quads are having, I never care to think that if i continue to run fast, it is almost like the feeling of flying.

There were quite marshals and volunteers and as usual, I never forget to thank all of them, give them a thumb up and give them some cheer. Because in return they will give you a response so emotionally strong that it can really help you add more speed into those legs.

When we were near the finish, I did my usual counting ritual and when I see that finish line, I just had to go for it. Jamie passed me earlier on in the race and again I kept him in sight, and when I sprinted, I went right past him and heard him said 'Oh no you didn't.' At that point, the only thing going through my mind was 'Do not let him go past you again' so I just sprinted. Surprisingly I still had enough in my tank to do so until I crossed the finish line.

I felt a little strange as I knew I pushed myself hard, I felt that I ran fast, but my GPS watch wasn't working, there was no finish time screen for us to see. I just had to go with the feeling. But I wasn't sick, I didn't feel sick, and I didn't want to be sick. This worried me as I felt, what if I didn't really push myself as hard? I was so tired and out of breathe when I did my Serpentine New Year 10k.

Then, over breakfast, Mark brought me the best news I had ever wanted to hear. He checked our finish times and I finished in 42.34. A whooping 40 seconds faster than my previous PB. I didn't think I was capable for a sub 43 so quickly after I ran it, so this was the best surprise I could have asked for.


It is only February of 2015 and I still have many other races booked. I am so excited and a little nervous running into this year, and seeing what performance awaits me.

No comments:

Post a Comment