Wednesday 3 December 2014

Mo Madness

What a weekend it has been. Having been away in Rome where the procedure in order to obtain a place in a race is so hideous (something to do with having to join a qualified run club who will provide all the needed medical certifications) that I stayed away from entering, thus I had 6 very non-competitive months of running.

Having been back in London for close to 3 months now, this was one of the big events I was really looking forward to. To be able to race, in a run where a huge amount of crew love will be present just proved how much I have missed this city and how I would not call anywhere else home.

A little about the run itself. It is THAT crazy race in November that takes place in Greenwich Park, where we are required to run two laps of this really horrible course, where only masochistic runners will put themselves through. But aside from that, it's all fun and games.

Lots of moustaches, real or fake (note that I had a knitted one which I think might be a fashion trend that really should catch on, people, make your orders here!). Lots of testosterone, macho-macho-ness. And laughters.

The day of the race was perfect. We could not have asked for a better day. The weather was great, breezy but not choppy, fresh but not sub zero, sunny but not boiling. Thanks to the incredible organisation skills of Glenn, he has managed to entered a whooping 167 Run Dem Crew runners into the race. It was a truly RDC takeover moment. We all met up at the tent, encouraging words were exchanged and good luck pats given. Of course, numerous amounts of photos were taken and smiles exchanged.



As the race started, I was kind of stuck in the middle of the racing lines, between a guy racing in ladies bikini, and too many curious under-the-breathe mumbling, 'who are these rdc guys? What is this crew love hashtag printed on the back of tshirts?' And I thought, just you wait and see, then all your questions in life will be answered.

It took me a good kilometre and a half (in my beard, might I add) to finally break through from walls of people lining before me in the race. I must have sworn, tutted and pushed during that frustrated distance. But when I broke free, with Mark, who was the most amazing pacer, it was amazing. We were running down the hill, I saw all the other rdc shirt clad people before me. If I was overtaking any of them, I would give them a light pat, 'you good?' Or just a thumbs up and a manly all-knowing nod. Then there were those so fast who were already climbing back up the hill.

I would be lying if I say my palm was completely fine after race day and it didn't hurt from all those high fives. It really hurts.




Now, the juicy part of the race. Those hills. Oh haha, those hills. There is one around 3k mark, which is a tiny one so that doesn't really count I guess. To be honest, the whole park was very up and down, so there really wasn't a long stretch of the course where it was truly flat. But that second hill, the glorious hill where you can fly down at about sub 6min mile and feel really amazing and accomplished with yourself. Then you realise you have to run back up the exact same hill. Yea.

It took a lot out of me, these hills. Mostly because the rest of the course was not exactly flat. So I could feel my thighs and calves working and by the time I was ready to attack this monster I was quite drained already.

But the cheer crew really did make a difference. For people who are lone wolves and run by themselves all the time, they might not appreciate it and might have thought, what a nuisance, move along. But we weren't there to annoy anyone, everyone cheering are runners. They know what pain everyone is going through. So hearing their cheering was one of the most encouraging sound you could hear.
But their placement was a slight problem. They were located at a point where the following thoughts would be going through my head, and I think my facial expressions would betray me too:

- Oh downhill, yay. Oh wait, have to come back up. Sh*t.
- Just one more kilometre to go, I am dying.
- I really want to stop. That hill killed me. Oh crap, there are people at the top.
- I am so tired. I can't feel my thighs. Crap, there are people.
- I really want to stop. Oh there is Ash, I need to look good for photos.

Those are the general lines of thoughts I had. I really do feel that without the crew there, I would have stopped. I didn't think I was really able to kept attacking the course with that hill placed at 4k and at 9k. But the crew love got me through it. And also Mark's very encouraging words. He really knows how to get a very competitive person all riled up.




After the race, and I feel the need to point out the lacking of those amazing bacon sandwiches that I went there for, I joined the cheer crew and met with all those that ran, that won, that owned and that attacked the course. What a truly magical moment, and how glad I was to be part of this all accepting crew.

It wasn't the biggest improvement on my PB on my 10k course, but an improvement is an improvement. I managed to come home with 44:13, 7th lady home. Quite happy with that, but next time I will aim higher, and stick to it and not give up.

A such a huge thank you to Mark. All those moments that I was struggling, and was ready to let you go on ahead, 'go, I am dragging you back.' 'Just leave me, you can run so much faster than this.' Thank you for not leaving and believing and kept pushing me.




On and up to the next challenge.

All photos on this post are taken by Ash Narod, at Ash Narod Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment